Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jesus died for everyone? True or False?


I realize that my poll questions were too simple (yes/no and true/false). Hopefully I'll become a better pollster. I am going to give a brief explanation to my answers starting with the first one.

Jesus died for everyone? True or False?

I believe the answer to this one is false. Christ did not just make it possible for someone to be saved. His blood actually saved those whom he came to save. Matt 1:21 reveals, "She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save HIS people from their sins." Matt 20:28 says that "the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for MANY." Jesus said, in John 10:14-15, "I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me... and I lay down my life for the sheep." He came for his people, not all people; for many, not all; for his sheep, not goats. Jesus also made it clear that he will not lose any of his sheep (John 10:28). If he died for his sheep and will not lose any of his sheep and not all people receive eternal life (Matt 7:13-14) it is clear that he did not die for all people. Jesus went so far as to say to God in his high priestly prayer, "I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours." We cannot conclude that Jesus died for those whom He would not even pray for.

To put it simply, Christ died only to save the elect and He secured, in no uncertain terms, their salvation. That does not mean that the power of God is lacking as if He is not able to save all men. Rather, God's Word reveals that it was the Father's intention that his Son was to suffer and die only for his chosen people, atoning for their sins alone. Christ's atonement was limited only in extent, not in power, according to the sovereign will of God. Unless you believe in "Universal Atonement" (that Christ died for everyone and everyone will definitely be saved) than you believe that the atonement was limited in one way or another. You either believe that Christ's work on the cross was limited in its power (it was not powerful enough to save everyone - only make it possible) or you believe that it was limited in its extent (it was not intended for everyone - only those whom he predestined)

Greg Bahnsen put it well: "If redemption were indefinite and potential, then none would be saved. For man, who is dead in sin and unable to receive the things of the Spirit of God (cf. Eph. 2:1; I Cor. 2:14), would never be able to appropriate that potential redemption for himself. No man is able to come to Christ except that Father draw him (John 6:44). The sinner drinks iniquity like water and does not seek God (Job 15:16; Rom. 3:11), so he can no more choose to come to Christ and gain for himself the benefits of the atonement than a leopard can change his spots (Jer. 13:23). Praise be to God who did not make only partial atonement for the sins of his people, who did not allow the salvation of His elect to be thwarted by leaving it up to them to respond, who fully saved us by having His Son actually obtain salvation for His sheep!"

2 comments:

Destiny said...

That is soooooo good!!!! Awesome post:)

Aaron Sleadd said...

Great post!
You supported your case with scripture really well!