Thursday, June 26, 2008
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth."
“The paradox is amazing. The Creator assumed the human frailty of his creatures. The Eternal One entered time. The all-powerful made himself vulnerable. The all-holy exposed himself to temptation. And in the end the immortal died.”
~ John Stott, The Incomparable Christ
Monday, June 23, 2008
“False prophets are to be found in the circles of the most orthodox, and they pretend to have a fervent love for souls, yet they fatally delude multitudes concerning the way of salvation. The pulpit, platform, and pamphlet hucksters have wantonly lowered the standard of divine holiness and so adulterated the Gospel in order to make it palatable to the carnal mind.”
“Any preacher who rejects God’s law, who denies repentance to be a condition of salvation, who assures the giddy and godless that they are loved by God, who declares that saving faith is nothing more than an act of the will which every person has the power to perform is a false prophet and should be shunned as a deadly plague”
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
"I do not think there is anyone who takes quite such a fierce pleasure in things being themselves as I do. The startling wetness of water excites and intoxicates me: the fieriness of fire, the steeliness of steel, the unutterable muddiness of mud. It is just the same with people. . . When we call a man “manly” or a woman “womanly” we touch the deepest philosophy."
~G. K. Chesterton – Letter to Frances [later his wife] (1899).
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
"Just as in the days of the Apostles, so at this day we are forced to hear from certain denominations that we (by our obstinacy to adhere to the truth) do offend against love and unity in the churches, because we reject their doctrine. It would be better (they say) that we should let it pass, especially since the doctrine in dispute is what they call ‘non-essential’, and, therefore (they say) to stir up so great a discord and contention in the church over one or two doctrines (and those not the most important ones) is ‘unfruitful’ and ‘unnecessary’. To this I reply: Cursed be that love and unity which cannot be preserved except at the peril of the word of God."
~ Martin Luther
Friday, June 06, 2008
Monday, June 02, 2008
10. A woman already crossed, and he would be in sin if he followed
9. The road is not safe if it wasn’t built between 1500-1700 AD
8. He believes that “road crossing” has ceased
7. The crossing guard was only helping people cross from one side, so he suspiciously thought he was denying double pre-destination
6. Romans 9 says nothing about crossing roads
5. The “Walk” sign was gender neutral
4. The road was called Tiber Ave
3. John Wesley said that God’s prevenient grace would pave the way, but he had to take the steps himself
2. He wasn’t elected to cross before the foundation of the road
1. Piper said that God is most glorified when we are most satisfied where we are