Saturday, May 03, 2008

Van Til - Does Air Exist?

"Now, in fact, I feel that the whole of history and civilization would be unintelligible to me if it were not for my belief in God. So true is this, that I propose to argue that unless God is back of everything, you cannot find meaning in anything. I cannot even argue for belief in Him, without already having taken Him for granted. And similarly I contend that you cannot argue against belief in Him unless you also first take Him for granted. Arguing about God’s existence, I hold, is like arguing about air. You may affirm that air exists, and I that it does not. But as we debate the point, we are both breathing air all the time."

~ Cornelius Van Til

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Kenny....good post...and I sure am glad for the air that I am breathing (well it is pretty smoggy here in the city but still exists)and for God's presence in our lives. "Grin" Hope all is well with you and your wonderful family. All the pictures show how much they are growing up (even little Noah is getting bigger). You are blessed. Hey...why don't you take a trip down here to Phoenix...course summer is not the greatest (too hot) but winter and fall is GREAT and we would love seeing each of you!